Any interest in a battery pack?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything
Forum rules

- Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

- Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.

- Members should use an appropriate, descriptive subject when posting a new topic. Examples of bad subjects include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good subjects include; "Getting an TABLE FULL error upon login", "Cannot restore a backup".

- Members are asked to post in English only so that posts can be well received and properly monitored.

- Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance. This includes offering hosting services (charged and free), installation services, solicitation etc. Recruiting members for your own projects (moderators, designers, professional MOD work, etc.) is not permitted and is also considered spam. Users posting spam will be warned and their post removed.

- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning. Vulgar language and inappropriate material is not allowed and will be removed. We try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere whenever it is possible within the main subject matter of this community. Please keep this in mind when participating.

- Each user is allowed to create one account. If you would like to change your username, please contact us and, most likely, we can do it for you while you can keep all of your profile data, posts, and other content.

- If a user violates our guidelines and shows a disregard for them, our staff and our community, they run the risk of losing their account. We reserve the right to deactivate any account and to edit or remove any content without warning. These guidelines are subject to change at any time without notice.

Thank you for visiting LattePanda.com!
scrappyjoe

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any interest in a LiFePo4 18650-based battery that could serve as a UPS for the LP? The idea would be to build a battery holder that accepts a micro-usb input for charging and has a 2-pin output for powering the LP via the CN2 headers.

So, the flow of power would be:

Wall Mains --- > USB Cable ---> Battery --- CN2 connector ---> LattePanda

There would be no special power-down / auto shutoff functionality. It would just provide power until it runs out of juice, and it would make sure the right voltage arrived all the time.

LiFePO4 18650 batteries come in about 1500mAh sizes, at 3.3V, so it would only provide enough power to keep things going for a short while and I would have to build in a 5V step-up.

It this something I should work on? Alternatively, does something like this exist?

LattePanda
Site Admin

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:41 am

sounds like a great idea. do you have any prototypes/concept photos/schematics you could share at this stage? nothing currently exists to my knowledge
Enjoy Tinkering with LattePanda ! :lol:

space cops

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:21 pm

I personally made the latte panda work under battery with this
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Recha ... DH9F127NTT

along side a 5 dollar 5v 3a UBEC. it can keep the lattepanda going for 5-6 hours on constant load

LattePanda
Site Admin

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 am

space cops wrote:I personally made the latte panda work under battery with this
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Recha ... DH9F127NTT

along side a 5 dollar 5v 3a UBEC. it can keep the lattepanda going for 5-6 hours on constant load
thanks for sharing. how was the UBEC connected to the LP? USB or CN2?

Lutz

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:53 pm

scrappyjoe wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if there was any interest in a LiFePo4 18650-based battery that could serve as a UPS for the LP? The idea would be to build a battery holder that accepts a micro-usb input for charging and has a 2-pin output for powering the LP via the CN2 headers.

There would be no special power-down / auto shutoff functionality. It would just provide power until it runs out of juice, and it would make sure the right voltage arrived all the time.

LiFePO4 18650 batteries come in about 1500mAh sizes, at 3.3V, so it would only provide enough power to keep things going for a short while and I would have to build in a 5V step-up.

It this something I should work on? Alternatively, does something like this exist?
LattePanda wrote:sounds like a great idea. do you have any prototypes/concept photos/schematics you could share at this stage? nothing currently exists to my knowledge
We have somthing like this under development.

Input voltage 8-24V (NO overvoltage protection, only for industrial power supplies, NOT for car or ships !)
LiPo charger for different batteries
5V/max.8A Output
3.3V/max.8A Output
additional STM32F0xx microcontroller, connected to CPU-COM1 and CPU-I2C
PowerOn-Button at STM32F0, Controller can power on LP
STM32F0 can monitor CPU-1.8V to detect "power off"
PWM-Output for 24V/5V-Fan from STM32
additional 24V/1A MOSFET-Outputs from STM32
additional Arduino connectors
10W mono Audio amplifier

Controller software is monitoríng PMIC, CPU voltage, communication over RS485 with simple protocol
Better would be using I2C but we have no Win10 Driver for it.

disadvantage : PCB is 195mm x 100mm big
PCB_2.JPG
PCB_2.JPG (196.43 KiB) Viewed 11506 times
I can ask my boss for cooperation with an other company. Maybe with slightly different specifications...

billymac

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:34 pm

I was thinking of making a 18650 based pack for my panda using 2 or 4 cells
Since the cell voltage is a little under 5v (4.8 I think) I am not sure if I can run the panda with that or not.
I assume I would need to put the 4 cells in series/parallel to get a total of 9.6 then regulate it down to 5.
That way, the voltage would say at 5v longer when the cells start to discharge.
I already have a battery charge module with voltage, current and cutoff pots I can use but I am not sure how I should hook it up.
If I was using 1 or more cells in parallel, I assume I could simply run the adapter into the input (8 - 30v) then put the panda and battery in parallel on the output and set it to 4.8v?
Assuming the bat will charge up to 4.8, then stop charging and if I unplug the charger, the panda will work for a while until the voltage drops too much.
If I use the 9.6 volt method, I assume I would need a buck converter on the output going into the panda?
Or is there already a capable voltage regulator on the panda that would allow me to drive it with 9.6 directly?

ED209

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:23 pm

I considered similar solution before. The best solution in the market right now is directly purchasing the PCBA module, which is designed for 5v 2A power bank. Then you just need to connect the 18650 battery with holder to this 5v booster and wiring the output to CN2 on LattePanda. As a standard power bank solution, it comes with charging function and port.

Exp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-2-1A-1A-2A-M ... SwOgdYvRcN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Power-Ban ... OSw4CFYm~Z~

The only problem I know is it's better to choose a quality one!....

What do you think?

ED209

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Lodin_Erikson wrote:

LattePanda wrote:sounds like a great idea. do you have any prototypes/concept photos/schematics you could share at this stage? nothing currently exists to my knowledge
We have somthing like this under development.

Input voltage 8-24V (NO overvoltage protection, only for industrial power supplies, NOT for car or ships !)
LiPo charger for different batteries
5V/max.8A Output
3.3V/max.8A Output
additional STM32F0xx microcontroller, connected to CPU-COM1 and CPU-I2C
PowerOn-Button at STM32F0, Controller can power on LP
STM32F0 can monitor CPU-1.8V to detect "power off"
PWM-Output for 24V/5V-Fan from STM32
additional 24V/1A MOSFET-Outputs from STM32
additional Arduino connectors
10W mono Audio amplifier

Controller software is monitoríng PMIC, CPU voltage, communication over RS485 with simple protocol
Better would be using I2C but we have no Win10 Driver for it.

disadvantage : PCB is 195mm x 100mm big
PCB_2.JPG
I can ask my boss for cooperation with an other company. Maybe with slightly different specifications...
WOW... This looks REALLY powerful.. Will you guys sell it on your company e-store?

LattePanda
Site Admin

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am

DF is also working on a solution, looking to be released in about 4 months (although timescales are subject to change as you probably know...)

Including but not limited to:

7-12v input
Arduino shield compatiblity
Gravity sensor compatibility
Analog and digital GPIO
3.3 and 5v conversion
i2c
prototyping space

UtahMadMike

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:15 pm

We have been developing a smart battery pack for some time. POC is done and now we are looking to send it to production. It's smart. . . It will notify the SBC when the battery is low and monitor the SBC health.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Jkjn02fYY

Patent application: 62/328,236