[TUTORIAL] LattePanda Bios Reflash Save LP from red light

A place to talk about all the Operating Systems, Software & Hardware
Forum rules

- Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

- Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.

- Members should use an appropriate, descriptive subject when posting a new topic. Examples of bad subjects include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good subjects include; "Getting an TABLE FULL error upon login", "Cannot restore a backup".

- Members are asked to post in English only so that posts can be well received and properly monitored.

- Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance. This includes offering hosting services (charged and free), installation services, solicitation etc. Recruiting members for your own projects (moderators, designers, professional MOD work, etc.) is not permitted and is also considered spam. Users posting spam will be warned and their post removed.

- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning. Vulgar language and inappropriate material is not allowed and will be removed. We try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere whenever it is possible within the main subject matter of this community. Please keep this in mind when participating.

- Each user is allowed to create one account. If you would like to change your username, please contact us and, most likely, we can do it for you while you can keep all of your profile data, posts, and other content.

- If a user violates our guidelines and shows a disregard for them, our staff and our community, they run the risk of losing their account. We reserve the right to deactivate any account and to edit or remove any content without warning. These guidelines are subject to change at any time without notice.

Thank you for visiting LattePanda.com!
Zzz5123

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:52 pm

Hello,
For those who have the same trouble
In this tutorial I will show you how to flash a bios chip. The bios can become corrupted for numerous reasons and prevent the board from booting. Usually this is what causes the “red light on no boot issue”. This will save your board!
What you need is a Bios programmer/writer with software
And furthermore, this tool can also use to back up/copy the Bios original code. That means you can change the bios setting or hacking without worrying, ha-ha.
Let’s begin.
First, unplug all the cables on the board!
Step 2
Remove the shield cover.
The chip is on the back side, and LattePanda has a cover on? It.
1.jpg
1.jpg (124.55 KiB) Viewed 16619 times
By the way, you can see the purple thermal pad used in LP. No judge,LattePanda Team, but add some thermal paste or change to a higher thermal conductivity would be better. :lol:
2.jpg
2.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 16619 times

Zzz5123

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:56 pm

The Bios IC is circled here:
3.jpg
3.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 16618 times
IC Specification:
GIGADEVICE
GD25Q64

SOIC8
64 bits of storage
8MB Bios

This is the model of my bios programmer/flash:
4.jpg
CH341A
4.jpg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 16618 times
Actually, you can use any bios programmer as long as it can write 8MB GD25Q64 chip
I got mine for 17RMB ($3) from Taobao :D :D :D
5.jpg
5.jpg (13.47 KiB) Viewed 16618 times

Zzz5123

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Step 3
You can either desolder the bios IC or clamp it in to the programmer, or you can use a solderless clamp similar to the one below like me (Which I'm bought in Taobao too .Which I’m highly recommend!! It’s so simple to use!!!) .
6.jpg
6.jpg (85.36 KiB) Viewed 16618 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 16618 times

Zzz5123

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:01 pm

When you program your chip be sure you connect it the right way round. Pin 1 on the IC is marked with a dot.
8.jpg
8.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 16618 times
IC Pin 1
9.jpg
9.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 16618 times

Zzz5123

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:04 pm

10.jpg
10.jpg (152.12 KiB) Viewed 16476 times
Now, just plug your programmer in to a USB port on your PC and use the software of the bios programmer.
First you need to download the right bios file from the official site. It is very important to match the right image with your system architecture.
In this case I used the 4GB 64GB version

https://github.com/LattePandaTeam/Latte ... 04G%2B64GB
11.jpg
11.jpg (117.55 KiB) Viewed 16617 times
When the file is downloaded, change the extension to .bin, e.g. “bios.bin”
Last edited by Zzz5123 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zzz5123

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Open the programmer software. (For different programmer, different steps, just ask your vendor )
Select the manufacturer of the chip and select the right model (GIGADEVICE GD25Q64 , remember?)
12.jpg
12.jpg (220.94 KiB) Viewed 16613 times
Read the chip information ,and you can see some words if it still work (it’s messy code here, just leave it alone.Some mistake about the software)
13.jpg
13.jpg (231.35 KiB) Viewed 16613 times
Open and select the file downloaded from the official site of your bios.
15.jpg
15.jpg (231.54 KiB) Viewed 16613 times

Zzz5123

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:11 pm

After that, program the bios
16.jpg
16.jpg (248.51 KiB) Viewed 16613 times
After program and verify, remove the clip.
Plug into the power and wait like 10s ~ 1min, you can see the red LED will turn off as normal if you succeed. Then hold the start button, tada, you LP is reborn.
And it will take some time to start at first time almost few minutes. You may see it loop and loop
If you see the LED blinks or still turns on, try it again.

Good luck to everyone who wants to try! :lol:

Boring

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks for this guide. You are a lifesaver. Can the admin sticky this thread at the top?

LattePanda
Site Admin

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:12 am

Boring wrote:Thanks for this guide. You are a lifesaver. Can the admin sticky this thread at the top?
shall do! and we will publish this in to an official guide.

**PLEASE NOTE**

If your board was DOA and you have been unable to boot it once you will lose your windows activation key if you try this method. This is because the windows key is stored on the bios chip and is activated online on the first system boot.

If you have been unable to boot in to Windows once and want to retain your windows key you will have to RMA (or activate it using..."other means")
However, if your board stopped working after some time flashing the bios chip will not be a problem.

To find out if your version of Windows is activated right click on the bottom-left windows icon and then "system" - your activation status will be at the bottom.

If you're using a different OS altogether then this is not a problem.

Anyway, just thought this was worth pointing out. nice work!
Enjoy Tinkering with LattePanda ! :lol:

strawberrymaker

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:41 pm

@Lattepanda cant you reactivate it with a call to microsoft?