[DISCUSSION] Linux on LattePanda

A place to talk about all the Operating Systems, Software & Hardware
Forum rules

- Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

- Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.

- Members should use an appropriate, descriptive subject when posting a new topic. Examples of bad subjects include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good subjects include; "Getting an TABLE FULL error upon login", "Cannot restore a backup".

- Members are asked to post in English only so that posts can be well received and properly monitored.

- Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance. This includes offering hosting services (charged and free), installation services, solicitation etc. Recruiting members for your own projects (moderators, designers, professional MOD work, etc.) is not permitted and is also considered spam. Users posting spam will be warned and their post removed.

- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning. Vulgar language and inappropriate material is not allowed and will be removed. We try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere whenever it is possible within the main subject matter of this community. Please keep this in mind when participating.

- Each user is allowed to create one account. If you would like to change your username, please contact us and, most likely, we can do it for you while you can keep all of your profile data, posts, and other content.

- If a user violates our guidelines and shows a disregard for them, our staff and our community, they run the risk of losing their account. We reserve the right to deactivate any account and to edit or remove any content without warning. These guidelines are subject to change at any time without notice.

Thank you for visiting LattePanda.com!
jasongaunt

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Okay, the settings I changed in the BIOS were (note these locations are not exact, you can find them easily though);

Advanced -> CPU Thermal (various)

Thermal Throttle Mechanism = TM2 Adaptive Throttling
Allow High Performance = Disabled
DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor) = Enabled

South Bridge -> Chipset -> Audio Configuration

Audio Configuration -> LPE Audio Support = LPE Audio PCI mode

South Bridge -> Chipset -> SCC Configuration

SCC SDIO Support -> PCI Mode
SCC SD Card Support -> PCI Mode

Sadly it's stopped booting up at all anymore, Lubuntu partially boots but stops halfway somewhere. Need more time to investigate :(

One thing I did spot is a "Bluetooth Devices" options
20170228_190227_720p.jpg
20170228_190227_720p.jpg (228.79 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
Does this change how the BT device is presented to the OS? Could it be used to get the drivers to load?

glebus

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm no expert, but if we're getting CPU overheating to begin with, I wonder if there's some microcode not being loaded, causing the instability?
Do you mean this? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode

jasongaunt

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Yes, that's a good link.

Just read through it all, although it seems the latest microcode update on Intels website is dated November 2016 and doesn't include any of the Atom processors at all, the last update with Atom processors was back in 2015 :(

atomix1040

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:55 am

This seems to be an issue for me too i managed ot install latest debian sid on the eMMC, switched the sdio to PCI access but the OS is not showing any devices on the PCI/USB bus that look like wifi/bt devices.

Code: Select all

[root@jupiter:/sys/firmware/acpi/tables]# lspci -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register [8086:2280] (rev 36)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration Registers [8086:22b0] (rev 36)
00:03.0 Multimedia controller [0480]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Imaging Unit [8086:22b8] (rev 36)
00:0b.0 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller [8086:22dc] (rev 36)
00:11.0 SD Host controller [0805]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SDIO Controller [8086:2295] (rev 36)
00:12.0 SD Host controller [0805]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SD Controller [8086:2296] (rev 36)
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller [8086:22b5] (rev 36)
00:15.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Low Power Engine Audio [8086:22a8] (rev 36)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller [1080]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine [8086:2298] (rev 36)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU [8086:229c] (rev 36)
[root@jupiter:/sys/firmware/acpi/tables]# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8152 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1997:0409
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 413c:2010 Dell Computer Corp. Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 413c:1003 Dell Computer Corp. Keyboard Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2341:8036 Arduino SA Leonardo (CDC ACM, HID)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
is there a trick in the firmware to present those devices in the OS ? or is there something magical and those devices are accessed through some other bus, if so how can i see their status (ACPI?)

LattePanda
Site Admin

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 am

Activating WiFi/Bluetooth drivers under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

We are experimenting with a full port of Ubuntu for the LattePanda. We have seen some success getting WiFi working, so hopefully this should give somebody a clue. If I have missed out anything or need to clarify details please let me know and I will do my best.

This was my method using a 4GB x64 LattePanda with Z8350 Processor

Note: Installing Ubuntu will wipe Windows from your LattePanda. After wiping it is not straightforward to restore it!!

Download the following to get started:

Ubuntu 16.04-desktop-amd64 Image
Kernel Patch Kit

1. Edit BIOS Settings

Boot the LattePanda with a USB keyboard and mouse.
Hit esc repeatedly to get in to the BIOS
Navigate to:

chipset > south bridge > LPSS & SCC configuration > SCC SDIO support
Change SCC SDIO support from ACPI Mode to PCI Mode
Press F4 to save settings and exit

2. Install Ubuntu

Create a bootable drive with a tool of your choice. We used Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.6.9.

When the grub prompt appears, select Install Ubuntu
Click through with all default settings for now, you can download updates later.
(If the LattePanda locks up during the install, stick a fan on the underside and see if that helps)

3. After Successful Install

Dump the ubuntu16.04_patch_20170223.tar somewhere. In this example I stored it on the root of a USB stick that was mounted to the filesystem.

e.g.

cd /media/lattepanda/usbstick/
Drop in to a shell (Tip: ctrl+alt+t opens one in Ubuntu)

Run the following commands:

Tip: Hitting the tab key will auto predict filenames to save you typing them all out

sudo su
cd /<stick/directory> (in my case this was /media/lattepanda/usbstick/)
unzip tar xf ubuntu16.04_patch.tar.gz 
When it has unzipped, change to the directory it has created and run the provided install script (make sure you are running as root):

cd ubuntu.16.04_patch
bash ./install1210.sh
Wait for the process to complete.

4. Edit the Grub

Still running as root, navigate to grub directory

cd /boot/grub/

Backup grub.cfg in case of any problems:

cp grub.cfg grub.cfg.old
Now you have a version to revert to if you run in to issues.

Next, change permissions of the grub file so you can read, write and execute

chmod 777 /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Next, we can edit the grub file. I will use nano for this, but you can use something else if you wish.

sudo nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Tip: In Nano you can press ctrl+w and type part of the name to find matching entries

1. Search for the following section:

export linux_gfx_mode
menuentry 'Ubuntu' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-3a08ec07-2677-499e-9638-aea4af1c9d0d' {
	recordfail
	load_video
	gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
	insmod gzio
	if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
	insmod part_gpt
	insmod ext2
	if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root  3a08ec07-2677-499e-9638-aea4af1c9d0d
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 3a08ec07-2677-499e-9638-aea4af1c9d0d
	fi
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=3a08ec07-2677-499e-9638-aea4af1c9d0d ro  quiet splash $vt_handoff
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-21-generic
}
Search for this line within the section:

vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic.efi.signed
And change to:

vmlinuz-4.4.0-2017022104
Search for this in the same section:

initrd.img-4.4.0-21-generic
Change to:

initrd.img-4.4.0-2017022104
(Please note that the UUIDs will vary for your system, just leave them as they are, they do not need to be changed.

Press ctrl X and then Y to save and exit, and then reboot your system

reboot
When the system boots again you should now have working WiFi and Bluetooth

Troubleshooting

If you should get stuck in a bootloop and need to revert to the grub.cfg.old file, you can boot in to recovery mode, navigate to /boot/grub/ delete or rename grub.cfg and replace with your backup file, which should make everything work properly again.

Porting Linux

We are using this version of Ubuntu as our official port. If we could do a roll call of all working hardware from the community that would be useful. So far we have cracked:

- WiFi
- Bluetooth
- USB 2
- USB 3
- HDMI
- DSI Display
- Arduino

Still working on:

- Ethernet
- SD
- Audio Out
- Touch Overlay

Feedback is appreciated, so let me know your results and findings.
We are the fans of LattePanda ! :lol:

atomix1040

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:11 pm

Well i'll try that, but this is kernel 4.4 i'm trying to stay on top of the mainline kernel 4.10 and up. I'd rather live without wifi then with an older kernel, but i'll try the patches you provided.

I was wondering how does the WIFI present itself to the OS, what's SDIO and why is the card not visible via lspci, what am i missing, is there anything else in the BIOS that could be causing the wifi card not to be presented in the OS ?

I understand that the drivers might not work, i'll deal with the whole broadcom stuff later on, for now i need to get the hardware visible to the OS

atomix1040

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:18 pm

I made the wifi work without any patches, i used the linux-next branch and everything works fine. USB3 problems still occur i wrote about them in a seperate thread http://www.lattepanda.com/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=1117

I get problems with the built in ethernet, i get some error from the driver like "TX Error -1" or similar and the card stops working, no transmission is possible, also any command that touches the interface info (ifconfig, mii-tool etc.) hangs and can't be killed, it's a serious issue i had to switch to a USB dongle, this might be caused by might switch so i'll check on a different one.

but linux-next seems to work, no hangs no GUI problems (i'm using the original lattepanda LCD panel, not HDMI).

LattePanda
Site Admin

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:52 am

atomix1040 wrote:I made the wifi work without any patches, i used the linux-next branch and everything works fine. USB3 problems still occur i wrote about them in a seperate thread http://www.lattepanda.com/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=1117

I get problems with the built in ethernet, i get some error from the driver like "TX Error -1" or similar and the card stops working, no transmission is possible, also any command that touches the interface info (ifconfig, mii-tool etc.) hangs and can't be killed, it's a serious issue i had to switch to a USB dongle, this might be caused by might switch so i'll check on a different one.

but linux-next seems to work, no hangs no GUI problems (i'm using the original lattepanda LCD panel, not HDMI).
great work, thanks for the feedback!
We are the fans of LattePanda ! :lol:

lattepanda_lover

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Well i have been using Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 dual boot with working Wifi & bluetooth .

Download iso https://goo.gl/ePa3Nd and boot it . (no need to change bios settiings or any other thing)

After you have logged into first time in ubuntu you may see trailing and flickering mouse , you need to turn off the unknown screen from display settings in ubuntu and reboot it .

If you want to dual boot , then install windows 10 first , shrink some unallocated space and install ubuntu over it .

I am so happy with lattepanda now .

Loving it.

mortenjs

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:38 pm

lattepanda_lover wrote:Well i have been using Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 dual boot with working Wifi & bluetooth .

Download iso https://goo.gl/ePa3Nd and boot it . (no need to change bios settiings or any other thing)

After you have logged into first time in ubuntu you may see trailing and flickering mouse , you need to turn off the unknown screen from display settings in ubuntu and reboot it .

If you want to dual boot , then install windows 10 first , shrink some unallocated space and install ubuntu over it .

I am so happy with lattepanda now .

Loving it.
Thanks, I jus got my lattepanda enchanced 2 weeks ago, and I will try that version of linux.
Looks like they also use the next kernel like atomix1040 was referering to in his findings.

The blogpost about the Linuxium your are linking to: http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/ ... eta-1.html

As Canonical just released Ubuntu 16.04.2 with the rolling Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernels which aim to provide support for the latest hardware I've decided to provide a single kernel which is effectively a HWE 'edge' kernel specifically patched for Intel Atom SoCs in my ISOs to simplify kernel management and create a forward path for future migration to mainline kernels.