[TUTORIAL] Windows 10/Ubuntu Dual Boot on an x64 LattePanda

A place to talk about all the Operating Systems, Software & Hardware
Forum rules

- Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

- Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.

- Members should use an appropriate, descriptive subject when posting a new topic. Examples of bad subjects include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good subjects include; "Getting an TABLE FULL error upon login", "Cannot restore a backup".

- Members are asked to post in English only so that posts can be well received and properly monitored.

- Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance. This includes offering hosting services (charged and free), installation services, solicitation etc. Recruiting members for your own projects (moderators, designers, professional MOD work, etc.) is not permitted and is also considered spam. Users posting spam will be warned and their post removed.

- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning. Vulgar language and inappropriate material is not allowed and will be removed. We try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere whenever it is possible within the main subject matter of this community. Please keep this in mind when participating.

- Each user is allowed to create one account. If you would like to change your username, please contact us and, most likely, we can do it for you while you can keep all of your profile data, posts, and other content.

- If a user violates our guidelines and shows a disregard for them, our staff and our community, they run the risk of losing their account. We reserve the right to deactivate any account and to edit or remove any content without warning. These guidelines are subject to change at any time without notice.

Thank you for visiting LattePanda.com!

Was this helpful?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4
LattePanda
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 am

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 11527 times
Many users want to be able to use the LattePanda's hardware to run Linux, but due to some restrictions with the UEFI firmware it has not been a straightforward process to reinstall Windows 10 after installing a Linux system. This guide will walk you though how to dual boot Windows 10 AND Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Please note that at the time of writing driver support under Linux is still limited, but essential features such as WiFi, Bluetooth, DSI and Audio work well. You can find out more in our Linux discussion here.

Method

Boot in to Windows 10

Right click on the Windows 10 logo in the taskbar

Navigate to "Disk Management"

Right click on your Windows 10 partition (C:/) and select "Shrink Volume"

Choose the shrink size you would like. This will become unallocated space that you can then use to install Ubuntu (or another distro of your choice) The amount of space will vary according to your needs, but I did 15GB.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Download Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Burn the iso to a USB drive. You can use our toolpack here.
Create a bootable USB stick on Mac/Windows/Linux:
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/t ... on-macos#0
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/t ... n-ubuntu#0
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/t ... -windows#3

Insert your USB drive to a free USB port on the LattePanda, and reboot the machine. When the LattePanda boots, you will be greeted by the installation process.

Select Install Ubuntu

Install the system on the unallocated space you created. Just click through all the default settings for now, you can install updates later. Actually, you wont be able to install updates because you need to do some tweaking for the hardware to work with Linux.

When the system is installed, reboot the LattePanda.

When Ubuntu installs it will create a Linux GRUB for us to select an operating system on boot. The problem is that the UEFI firmware for the LattePanda works with the Windows 10 boot manager, which will always boot in to Windows 10 by default, so we need to instruct it to boot to the Linux GRUB where so that we have a choice of the OS we will use. Conveniently, this can be altered inside of Windows.

Windows 10

Press the Windows Key on your keyboard, type cmd, and then right click the command prompt application and run as administrator

Now type the following command:

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
Hit enter and reboot.

When the LattePanda boots, you will be greeted by the Linux GRUB, which will enable you to select an operating system on boot! Two operating systems, one tiny computer! Cool.

To get WiFi and Bluetooth modules running under Ubuntu, see this post.
Enjoy Tinkering with LattePanda ! :lol:

Habre

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:32 pm

LattePanda wrote:
To get WiFi and Bluetooth modules running under Ubuntu, see this post.
Hi, the link for the kernel patch in the referenced post appears to be broken. Could you provide a new one?

LattePanda
Site Admin

Fri May 05, 2017 5:58 am

Habre wrote: Hi, the link for the kernel patch in the referenced post appears to be broken. Could you provide a new one?
fixed, try again

jinlatt

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi,
1. After doing shrinking the disk, when installing Lubuntu, it does not ask where you want to install (there were never a pop window asking for where we want it to be installed)
2. kernel patch in the referenced post appears is still broken, please double check the hyperlink you included in that post (what i got is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/174 ... olpack.rar)

thanks so much.

zeroday

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm

The Ubuntu installer just freezes up on language selection. When I click 'continue' the button grays out ant it's stuck on a spinning cursor. I have the beefier version of LP and used the default 64 bit desktop iso. When I install the server version of the iso I get the command line but it has no LAN or wifi drivers so it's a complete plain in the ass.

If I install Debian 9 64 bit I get a working command line with internet access but the graphic interface is stuck on a black screen and cursor that I can move around as the day is long. I read up on this and tried using nomodset in the linux line in GRUB but that didn't do anything.

Do I need to install a graphic driver or is it part of the kernel? I think it's an APU so I guess an Intel driver is what I need to get?

Anyone has a working iso? I don't care if it's Arch or Debian based as log as it works.

Edit:
Probably memory issue. I'll install Lubuntu instead

Edit:
Tried Lubuntu 64 bit and it would boot to a black screen with a cursor. Ran with 'nomodeset' and got to a live desktop. But then when I tried to install - there's is only graphical install and same as with ubuntu when you click 'continue' on the first card it just grays out and disappears.

kungfupanda

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm

I've got as far as booting to the USB and linux GRUB, then when I select install linux, the screen shuts off, monitor goes to sleep and the board seems to do nothing (no activity on the USB stick LED).
+1 for zeroday request: does anyone have an iso that works.
.ps I'm trying 16.04.03LTS on a 4GB/32B LattePanda

Coco Xia

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:33 am

There is someone install successful.
http://www.lattepanda.com/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=1675

LattePanda
Site Admin

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 am

ender

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:20 am

Android & Win10 Dual Boot ___How?

GLefebvre

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi,

I successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Dual boot) and I applied the kernel patch (Bluetooth and Wifi working, yay!). However, when I insert a USB stick (in USB2 and USB3 ports) or SD card, they are not recognized.

I see my USB stick when I run lsusb but there is nothing in /media.
I verified my USB stick on my windows laptop and all my data is still there, so it's not corrupted or dead.
I have a USB dongle for my mouse/keyboard and it's working fine... :?

Anyone who installed Ubuntu had this trouble?
Maybe I forgot an option in the BIOS?

Thanks!