[DISCUSSION] Fans/Heatsinks/CPU Cooling Mods

A place to talk about all the Operating Systems, Software & Hardware
Forum rules

- Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

- Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.

- Members should use an appropriate, descriptive subject when posting a new topic. Examples of bad subjects include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good subjects include; "Getting an TABLE FULL error upon login", "Cannot restore a backup".

- Members are asked to post in English only so that posts can be well received and properly monitored.

- Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance. This includes offering hosting services (charged and free), installation services, solicitation etc. Recruiting members for your own projects (moderators, designers, professional MOD work, etc.) is not permitted and is also considered spam. Users posting spam will be warned and their post removed.

- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning. Vulgar language and inappropriate material is not allowed and will be removed. We try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere whenever it is possible within the main subject matter of this community. Please keep this in mind when participating.

- Each user is allowed to create one account. If you would like to change your username, please contact us and, most likely, we can do it for you while you can keep all of your profile data, posts, and other content.

- If a user violates our guidelines and shows a disregard for them, our staff and our community, they run the risk of losing their account. We reserve the right to deactivate any account and to edit or remove any content without warning. These guidelines are subject to change at any time without notice.

Thank you for visiting LattePanda.com!
User avatar
Boring
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:14 pm

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:17 am

Im not much at electronics, but Maybe add a resistor or a pocketed to lower the voltage and thus rpm

User avatar
LattePanda
Site Admin
Posts: 2662
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:09 am

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:42 am

here is a project idea: why not make a fan control program in processing. it could measure the board temperature using a sensor and then change the fan speed accordingly using the leonardo coprocessor.
Enjoy Tinkering with LattePanda ! :lol:

User avatar
Lutz
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:30 am
Location: Germany, NRW

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:52 am

LattePanda wrote:here is a project idea: why not make a fan control program in processing. it could measure the board temperature using a sensor and then change the fan speed accordingly using the leonardo coprocessor.
Not the newest idea...
You can get the processor temp by software, but Leonardo or processor I2C für fan control... look here : viewforum.php?f=13

User avatar
bytesguy
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm

What I would like to see is a vesa-mount case with a fan for cooling - hiding the board behind the tv would make a good emulation setup. The current case is nice, but so easy to break. Mine broke just trying to get the pieces out of the plastic sheet :cry: So perhaps the next one could be a little bit more robust / easier to assemble.

User avatar
Unicorn
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi. I created my own case/cooling off of an old PC fan and its airflow director. I also took a heat sink off of the same computer. I screws the lattepanda into a piece of wood, and the wood is mounted in the "case". The heat sink is just resting on top of the panda until I get some thermal paste to mount it. The fan plugs into the 5v and ground pins, and the LCD's ribbon cables go through a hole in the side of the case. I also put a block of wood in top of it, so it serves as a stand for the LCD.

The fan maintains a steady airflow, and with the heat sink, streaming a movie, my temperatures average 60 degrees Celsius. Writing this message it is averaging 50.

Go here to see the imgur album of the pictures. http://imgur.com/a/ll02J

User avatar
LattePanda
Site Admin
Posts: 2662
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:09 am

Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:16 am

Unicorn wrote:Hi. I created my own case/cooling off of an old PC fan and its airflow director. I also took a heat sink off of the same computer. I screws the lattepanda into a piece of wood, and the wood is mounted in the "case". The heat sink is just resting on top of the panda until I get some thermal paste to mount it. The fan plugs into the 5v and ground pins, and the LCD's ribbon cables go through a hole in the side of the case. I also put a block of wood in top of it, so it serves as a stand for the LCD.

The fan maintains a steady airflow, and with the heat sink, streaming a movie, my temperatures average 60 degrees Celsius. Writing this message it is averaging 50.

Go here to see the imgur album of the pictures. http://imgur.com/a/ll02J
very cool! thanks for sharing
Enjoy Tinkering with LattePanda ! :lol:

User avatar
norbert
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 pm

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Hey,

Where exactly do you connect your fans? I have a 3-pin one, but can't make it work. Do I need to set something in the BIOS to enable D9-D11 pins?

Thanks!,
Norbert

User avatar
LattePanda
Site Admin
Posts: 2662
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:09 am

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:12 am

so far just connected to the CN2 headers which output 5v. If you wanted to you could use the arduino side to handle this but we havent got an example handy yet.

if you have a 3 pin fan you will need to connect vcc and gnd to the cn2 header on the board.
Enjoy Tinkering with LattePanda ! :lol:

User avatar
Tolsi
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:21 am

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:31 am

I just connected 80mm Arctic F8 Pro PWM to GND and 5V from usb with wires (I bared wires from the old usb -> microusb cable and reliably put them in the cooler connector 3pin) and it is quite convenient and it is absolutely silent. I turned my lp case up (upside down) and put this cooler on top that it blew into the case (it isn't great), because it is so consistently held. That's enough to CPU temperature does not rise more than 80 degrees and it will not cut rates. It looks a little cumbersome, but the fit is excellent, if put in a box. It does not bother me. :) If interested, I can make a few photos.

User avatar
LattePanda
Site Admin
Posts: 2662
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:09 am

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:09 am

Tolsi wrote:I just connected 80mm Arctic F8 Pro PWM to GND and 5V from usb with wires (I bared wires from the old usb -> microusb cable and reliably put them in the cooler connector 3pin) and it is quite convenient and it is absolutely silent. I turned my lp case up (upside down) and put this cooler on top that it blew into the case (it isn't great), because it is so consistently held. That's enough to CPU temperature does not rise more than 80 degrees and it will not cut rates. It looks a little cumbersome, but the fit is excellent, if put in a box. It does not bother me. :) If interested, I can make a few photos.
glad its working well. we are developing a stand with a built in fan that we hope to release soon
Enjoy Tinkering with LattePanda ! :lol:

Post Reply