[DISCUSSION] Linux on LattePanda

userHead Raymond Day 2016-04-18 20:59:28 434618 Views267 Replies
I order this wanting to run Linux on it. Seems like only the newer 16 type ones will work on it. Can put the ISO on a USB flash drive and it will boot from you on power up.

I had the live one work but installing it would not boot. The only one I found that boots and installs is Lubuntu 16.04. Or:

Linux Lattepanda 4.4.0-18-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 6 14:01:02 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It seems to be working very good.

Did you know this Lattepanda has the same CPU in it as the Intel Compute Stick with USB 3.0 on it too. STK1AW32SCR type.

-Raymond Day
2021-06-26 00:53:37 @LattePanda, thank you for your response.

Yes I meant running OS from SD card. Adding SSD is an overhead for my rack set-up, unfortunately May I ask, what LattePanda's feature made it impossible technically to boot from SD? Just curious

About the BIOS - I read in this thread (and might misunderstood) that making SD card working, require BIOS setting change for the `chipset > south bridge > LPSS & SCC configuration > SCC SDIO support`. But it appears to be not to boot from SD card, rather something else. So I was not able to find this option, that what I meant.

So what I ended up doing for now is resizing the main partition with Windows and installing Linux on it. Goes w/o issues so far... but the 4K video playing is sluggish, comparing to the Windows one (when running from Youtube, in example). Maybe you can recommend a specific drivers/codecs to make it fly in Panda?
userHeadPic svscorp
2021-06-24 14:03:01 @svscorp, Hi, do you mean running OS from SD card? LattePanda doesn't support booting from SD card. you can add an NVME SSD on your Alpha m.2 M Key slot and boot up.
and which seetings you want to change in the BIOS? the BIOS menu will have slight difference on different models.
userHeadPic LattePanda
2021-06-23 17:23:41 I am trying to understand how to use all the suggestions here:
* booting from SD card
* auto power off

But can't find options of North/South bridge in the chipset of BIOS. Have purchased 10+ LattePande Alpha, to build a media cluster - but getting some worries after not being able to do simple things simply.

Device: LattePanda Alpha 8100y KR300
BIOS Info:
* Project Version: S70KR300
* BIOS Version: CDJQ-BS-7-S70KR300-KF65A-101-I x64
* Build Date: 06/12/2019

@LattePanda is this something you can help with?

===
UPDATE #1: Updated to the "linux compatible BIOS" https://github.com/LattePandaTeam/Latte ... 20BIOS.rar

Results:
* USB Drive boot option appeared (didn't need it)
* No option to boot from SD card :/
* No options for south/north bridge control in BIOS :/

Bios Info:
* Project Version: S70KR300
* BIOS Version: CDJQ-BS-7-S70KR300-KF65A-101-M x64
* Build Date: 03/18/2020
userHeadPic svscorp
2021-01-11 12:00:21 @thunderbwee, how many Delta boards do you have? we suggest you update the latest default Delta BIOS first. and then install alto-power-on BIOS.
https://github.com/LattePandaTeam/Latte ... da%20Delta
userHeadPic LattePanda
2021-01-09 14:42:57 I've installed Ubuntu v20.04 on a LattePanda v1 and it work very well (It took about 58-68 sec to load in Ubuntu).

But for my product, I need a more powerfull computer, I plan to use Delta. I've installed a working Ubuntu 20.10 now but I've problem with the Power On boot Bios functionality (I've updated the Bios...) and it's mandatory for me.

Curently we use Intel NUC but if I can go over the Power On problem, I think the LattePanda Delta can be a serious canditate to run Ubuntu as embeded in our systems.
userHeadPic thunderbwee
2020-08-03 11:52:11
ziimiin wrote: ↑Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:38 am
LattePanda wrote: ↑Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 am We have some user sucessfully instaill Ubuntu 20.04 on LattePanda v1. We will share in forum very soon!
Hi,

I am planning to use Ubuntu 18.04 (https://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/) on LattePanda v1. Since there is someone successfully installed Ubuntu 20.04 on LattePanda v1, can I assume that Ubuntu 18.04 will also work on LattePanda v1 when I install it?
Please follow our updates in blog and post in the near future :D
userHeadPic LattePanda
2020-07-03 16:38:08
LattePanda wrote: ↑Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 am We have some user sucessfully instaill Ubuntu 20.04 on LattePanda v1. We will share in forum very soon!
Hi,

I am planning to use Ubuntu 18.04 (https://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/) on LattePanda v1. Since there is someone successfully installed Ubuntu 20.04 on LattePanda v1, can I assume that Ubuntu 18.04 will also work on LattePanda v1 when I install it?
userHeadPic ziimiin
2020-06-30 15:01:49 We have some user sucessfully instaill Ubuntu 20.04 on LattePanda v1. We will share in forum very soon! userHeadPic LattePanda
2020-06-02 21:40:49
LattePanda wrote: ↑Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:49 am
lovelinux wrote: ↑Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm Will a new version of ubuntu 16 system be released?
which Ubuntu version do you need? we released Ubuntu 16.04 for LattePanda V1.
I want to continue with the current version 20.04.
My sound problem is resolved in hdmi and sound card, (Audio acpi mode On)
now only wifi problem left,
RECVbuf gives error error N does not connect to networks and works poorly
userHeadPic lovelinux
2020-06-02 17:49:44
lovelinux wrote: ↑Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm Will a new version of ubuntu 16 system be released?
which Ubuntu version do you need? we released Ubuntu 16.04 for LattePanda V1.
userHeadPic LattePanda
2020-06-02 16:11:23 Hi,

I installed the Linux Lite 5.0 distribution but my sound card doesn't work,
pacmd appears as 0 device in list-cards output.
How can I solve this.

Thanks
userHeadPic lovelinux
2020-05-27 20:20:36 Will a new version of ubuntu 16 system be released? userHeadPic lovelinux
2020-01-27 09:56:21
sagi wrote: ↑Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm Hi, I'm trying your image (I followed the steps from: http://docs.lattepanda.com/content/1st_ ... u-1604-lts).
I have to run Windows application on the Panda so I tried to install Wine but the installation failed.
Any way to install Wine on LattePanda Ubuntu?
Thanks!
i'm not use image from this thread, but Xubuntu 18.04.3 64bit (installed from stock iso), when i try install wine this way: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

is problem with missing libfaudio package, is need add another repository, howto:
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/09/h ... pment.html

after this is possible install package winehq-stable

working wine i confirm with install of TotalCommander...
userHeadPic k3dAR
2020-01-17 20:40:27 Hi, I'm trying your image (I followed the steps from: http://docs.lattepanda.com/content/1st_ ... u-1604-lts).
I have to run Windows application on the Panda so I tried to install Wine but the installation failed.
Any way to install Wine on LattePanda Ubuntu?
Thanks!
userHeadPic sagi
2019-10-18 10:35:07
LattePanda wrote: ↑Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:53 am did you install the WIFI antennas? Can the wifi work in original Windows system?
Yes, and yes. Thanks.
So, to clarify, do you think I should be able to use wifi with fresh latest debian as it comes? I'll check if it's not something about the desktop environment, maybe wifi is working but I don't see it in the applet?

Thanks!!!
userHeadPic alete
2019-10-15 13:53:52 did you install the WIFI antennas? Can the wifi work in original Windows system? userHeadPic LattePanda
2019-10-15 03:41:32 Hello, little pandas!
I know this is an old thread but I just revived my 4gb/64gb 1st generation lattepanda and installed debian 10 'buster' with mate environment.

I'm not being able to get wifi working. Ethernet works great, but I don't even have the wifi option in the applet. What am I missing?

`uname -a` output:
Linux latte 4.19.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u1 (2019-09-20) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I also installed `linux-firmware` package just in case
userHeadPic alete
2019-02-09 03:28:04 Update:
I found there is a bug in all 4.12 kernels I have tried. The main storage device, or more specifically /var/log is filled with useless garbage.
You will have to rename a kernel debugging mod that was enabled on accident..... [Reference Needed 1]

The "Patching " of Debian is extremely simple to accomplish.
Requirements:

1) Wired Internet connection

Steps are:
1) Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add the following to enable "Backports"

Code: Select all

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free 2) Run the following Commands

Code: Select all

sudo apt -t stretch-backports update sudo apt -t stretch-backports install linux-image-4.12 [exact package name needed as of today] 3) Reboot

The Wifi will now work, Sound works, If you don't care about Bluetooth you are done... If you need bluetooth Keep going to patch the Bluetooth config files.

4) Patch Bluetooth drivers

[More Updates needed]

This has been a lot of work, It may seem easy for some but the amount of research and testing takes up alot of time. Too bad no one shows any interest in this anymore now that the new kid is on the block (Lattepanda Alpha)
userHeadPic AjSomething
2019-01-20 03:45:55 Okay, It's been a long time since any "Updates" have been done for the lattepanda original....
I'm in the process of creating an easy to use package to install Bluetooth, Sound and WiFi drivers on debian systems.

The issue I have run into are
1) the package to update the kernel is excellent and works, but locks to that one kernel and does not allow any updates...
2) When installing Vulkan drivers, The kernel is not recognized and the world comes to an end..........
3) This Linux Thing is all messed up, files everywhere that need updated, added, changed, and need general moral support to work properly.....

I'm currently working on modifying the package provided by mopplayer. I am unable to get ahold of him for help and i hope he does not have an issue with me using a bunch of his work.........

My Goals,
Create a package like his that does not include the Main-Line Kernel but instead Links to it as a dependency. This will allow kernel updates without breaking a bunch of stuff.
Debian has kernel 4.19 available now...... it's pretty......

The package will include all the magic files to install in all the magical places. (Firmware and Configs) this should get the file size below 10MB and work on any release of linux compatible with the DEB packages....

Once again Thanks mopplayer, for your hard work.

If anyone has any insight on how mopplayer made the hardware work, Please let me know.....
Im finding i have to recreate much of his work and it would make this much faster......
userHeadPic AjSomething
2018-08-05 00:06:11
LattePanda wrote: ↑Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:12 am Hey ,

Have you noticed that we've released the Linux Ubuntu.
Here's the link:
http://docs.lattepanda.com/content/OS/W ... u-1604-lts
Yes, i think all we do. I try your iso and the problem is you can´t install even basic things, like wine or many other packages. Seems like your release is closed and dont allow basic updates from ubuntu repositories. Big fail. Another problem is the release is very buggy, inusable. Permanent core dump menssages and problems.

I suggest you a better approach, if you really care this community of latte panda linux users, is create a direct descendent ubuntu (or even better DEBIAN) fork distro, with kernels locked and maintained for your team with the needed stuff to make work ANY device or periperic included in latte panda. Anything else (like this iso release of ubuntu experiment) sucks. Really. no offense, is just a time wasted for yous customers.

Is not very time consuming to do what i propose and is your bussines rigth?

Just a friendly suggestion.

Best regards.
userHeadPic doanldshimoda