Initial startup time

userHead brien 2017-10-31 04:08:30 9319 Views14 Replies
We're very impressed with the LattePanda. However, the initial startup time is very slow, around 5 seconds. Is there a way to reduce the amount of time it takes for the LattePanda to turn on?

We're OK with slow boot times, we have paid for the custom boot logo and that worked out great. But our users won't be sure if they turned our instrument on if it takes 5 seconds for the screen to do anything.

The blue LED seems to flash during this time, which left me wondering if this slow startup was actually caused by the Arduino chip.

Thanks in advance!
2018-12-07 16:41:06 I am facing the same issue and have no additional controller to get this right.

I have a relay that powers the system. The relay is controlled by a button and an arduino pin.
With the ridicules boot time the user needs to hold the power button for ~9 seconds before the arduino runs my own code that takes over the button press.
I'm now thinking about adding a 555 timer to hold the button down for me, but that introduces other problems in my scenario.

Is there any way that the community can help resolving this problem?
userHeadPic joris
2017-12-11 15:53:48 @untitled86

Thanks for your feedback, written down the problem.
userHeadPic LattePanda
2017-12-04 08:07:27 We are using LattePanda either way now for version 1 of our product. Our application doesn't involve a large quantity of pieces. We hope to sell 10-20 per month.

We've already purchased the custom boot logo, I've coded a BSP for IoT Core and we're nearing QA the testing phase.

But please have the engineers improve the boot time. All other boards display the boot logo faster. It's simple, but that's important so users know the device has turned on.
userHeadPic brien
2017-11-20 23:49:27
untitled86 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 pm
Coco Xia wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:45 am Yeah, I understand. So how's everything going?
We're still waiting on a potential solution, and considering other boards that display the boot logo faster. Including the Up-Board (www.up-board.org/).

I hope LattePanda can fix this.
I've talked with our engineering team about your concern and needs for your application. We think we can do some hardware improvement for your case. How many pieces LattePanda do you need for your industrial application?
userHeadPic LattePanda
2017-11-17 05:53:10
Coco Xia wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:45 am Yeah, I understand. So how's everything going?
We're still waiting on a potential solution, and considering other boards that display the boot logo faster. Including the Up-Board (www.up-board.org/).

I hope LattePanda can fix this.
userHeadPic brien
2017-11-15 15:19:15 Hi, good day! Thanks for the reply! :) userHeadPic LattePanda
2017-11-15 13:02:59
LattePanda wrote: ↑Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 am
Lutz wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 am Same problem here.
At the end we added a red and a green LED to the "Power" button to give the user startup information.
But that was easy for us, because we have an additional microcontroller for controlling the power supply and other functions.
Sounds like a good idea. Can you show some pictures of it. Many thanks.
Some months ago :
http://www.lattepanda.com/forum/viewtop ... 4840#p4840
userHeadPic Lutz
2017-11-13 16:35:44
Lutz wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 am Same problem here.
At the end we added a red and a green LED to the "Power" button to give the user startup information.
But that was easy for us, because we have an additional microcontroller for controlling the power supply and other functions.
Sounds like a good idea. Can you show some pictures of it. Many thanks. :)
userHeadPic LattePanda
2017-11-10 17:31:27
untitled86 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 pm
Coco Xia wrote: ↑Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:46 am How about the auto-power feature. When you plug the power supply, the LP will boot up without power button pressed.
Actually I don't understand what you need. Sorry!
We are using the LattePanda in a handheld device. We are not building a tablet, we're building a scientific instrument. Our instrument has a power button. When the user presses our power button, it takes many seconds for the LattePanda boot (BIOS) screen to appear. Maybe 5-8 seconds.

We are using the auto-power feature.

We care about this because the user can't tell they've turned the device on until the BIOS/boot logo appears. Which as I said, is 5-8 seconds.

Does that make sense?
Same problem here.
userHeadPic Lutz
2017-11-10 14:45:12 Yeah, I understand. So how's everything going? userHeadPic Coco Xia
2017-11-08 06:23:25
Coco Xia wrote: ↑Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:46 am How about the auto-power feature. When you plug the power supply, the LP will boot up without power button pressed.
We are using the LattePanda in a handheld device. We are not building a tablet, we're building a scientific instrument. Our instrument has a power button. When the user presses our power button, it takes many seconds for the LattePanda boot (BIOS) screen to appear. Maybe 5-8 seconds.

We are using the auto-power feature.

We care about this because the user can't tell they've turned the device on until the BIOS/boot logo appears. Which as I said, is 5-8 seconds.

Does that make sense?
userHeadPic brien
2017-11-03 10:46:00 How about the auto-power feature. When you plug the power supply, the LP will boot up without power button pressed.
userHeadPic Coco Xia
2017-11-03 02:21:57
Coco Xia wrote: ↑Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:20 am From what I know, the initial time of each board is different, and if the BLUE LED stop flashing means the Arduino part initial ready , if the Red LED turns off means the CPU part initial ready, and then you can press the power button to boot the system.
I've noticed this, we have ~8 LattePanada's so far. It seems like this boot time isn't consistant. I suspect it should be fixable with software (by flashing the arduino chip?).

LattePanada might not consider this important, but it actually is for industrial applications. I really need to sort out how to improve the initial power-up time.

I'm considering always powering my Panada direct from the battery, then initiating the power button when I need to start it up. But this seems like a bad solution since the Arduino will be drawing current 24/7.
userHeadPic brien
2017-11-02 17:20:52 From what I know, the initial time of each board is different, and if the BLUE LED stop flashing means the Arduino part initial ready , if the Red LED turns off means the CPU part initial ready, and then you can press the power button to boot the system. userHeadPic Coco Xia